Reflexive Praxis and Being An Ally
Reflexive Praxis and Being an Ally
Rewriting Reflexive Praxis: Unlearning Oppression and Embodying Allyship
Throughout my work, I have advocated for a Critical Interactionist approach to understanding everyday life, emphasizing how individuals actively create and reshape the social world through historically specific practices. My focus has often been on uncovering the mechanisms by which "societies structured in dominance" (a term from Stuart Hall) are produced, reproduced, and transformed. For instance, I have explored practices underpinning inequality and the functioning of ideologies. This essay extends these ideas by examining reflexive praxis as a means to consciously alter the world, contrasting it with the unreflexive behaviors that reinforce oppressive systems. I will connect these insights to the practice of unlearning oppression and the challenging yet vital work of being an ally.
Reflexive praxis involves deliberate action informed by awareness of how individual and collective behaviors impact the broader social order. In contrast, unreflexive behavior reflects habitual acquiescence to the status quo. This distinction is central to understanding how we perpetuate or challenge systems of oppression. Drawing from my lived experience, I illustrate how reflexive praxis and allyship intersect in the everyday moments where injustice manifests.
Many of my reflections begin as observations from daily life, noted in an ethnographic journal. Today’s reflection stems from a conversation at the Santa Barbara Roasting Company, where I found myself in a familiar tension between oppressive language and the imperative to respond. Among my acquaintances—working-class men in recovery from addiction and evangelical Christians—a culture of casual discrimination often permeates. Terms like “bitches,” “fags,” and “beaners” surface with alarming regularity. As an anti-oppression educator, navigating this environment often leaves me feeling profoundly alienated.
In earlier work, I argued that becoming an ally in struggles against injustice requires critical self-awareness of our roles in systems of oppression. Everyday oppression frequently operates through inaction rather than overt actions. As I previously wrote:
“The passivity of well-meaning people, fueled by ignorance and indifference, is critical to the operation of dominator culture. We often live in denial, refusing to acknowledge the consequences of our behavior.”
By failing to challenge oppressive comments, jokes, or behaviors, we contribute to the maintenance of hierarchical systems. This inaction constitutes unreflexive behavior—the unconscious perpetuation of ideologies that uphold inequality. To counteract this, reflexive praxis demands an active, conscious stance against the status quo.
In contemporary societies, reflexivity—an awareness of the transformative potential of our actions—is increasingly recognized as a hallmark of modernity. However, reflexivity must be tempered by humility. Recognizing the unexamined aspects of our own behavior prevents us from adopting a hypocritical stance, where we critique others while remaining blind to our complicity in oppression.
Reflexive praxis requires that we intervene in the social world with a commitment to justice, using our actions as interventions aimed at dismantling systems of domination. For example, norms of politeness and civility often discourage confrontation. These norms enable oppressive behaviors to persist unchecked. Similarly, privileges associated with identity—such as my own as a white man—can deter active engagement in challenging injustice.
This dynamic played out during a recent incident at the coffee shop. While chatting with a barista, a male acquaintance joked that it would be “weird” for a man to look at another man as attractive. As a gay man, I found the comment offensive. Choosing reflexive praxis, I interjected: “You must think I’m weird, Joe!” While my remark drew attention to the presuppositions underlying his statement, it may have embarrassed him. This discomfort, however, was necessary to challenge the casual reinforcement of heteronormativity.
Yet, reflexive praxis does not always translate into action. Later, another patron referred to a lesbian couple as “dykes.” Preoccupied and wary of conflict, I chose silence. This inaction—despite my awareness of its consequences—marked a failure of allyship. I allowed fear of judgment and personal convenience to override my commitment to justice. This moment highlights the difficulty of sustaining reflexive praxis, especially when it demands stepping outside comfort zones.
Being an ally requires more than isolated acts of intervention; it involves a sustained commitment to confronting oppression in all its forms. This entails mastering conversational strategies, including the ability to navigate disagreements and initiate challenging dialogues. A “conversational analysis” of allyship might identify the specific turn-taking mechanisms that facilitate productive resistance.
Critical Interactionism bridges theoretical abstraction with practical engagement, urging us to locate oppression and resistance within the micro-level practices of everyday life. By examining how power and hierarchy are enacted in mundane interactions, we uncover opportunities for transformative praxis. Reflexive praxis, then, becomes a tool for rewriting the social script—a means to intervene in routine behaviors that perpetuate inequality.
Ultimately, reflexive praxis and allyship demand a willingness to act, even when it is uncomfortable or inconvenient. These practices compel us to confront the everyday manifestations of oppression and to use our voices, privileges, and actions as instruments of change. As I reflect on these dynamics, I am reminded that transformation begins not in grand gestures but in the seemingly small, yet profound, moments of everyday life.
[RE-WRITTEN December 11 2024]
Comments
Post a Comment